

# BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

1801 Panorama Drive, Campus Center, Room 4 | Bakersfield, California 93305

## DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS

Friday, August 12, 2016

11:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.

BCSGA Boardroom

---

### 1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER

The meeting was called to order by the chair, Director Smith, at 11:05 a.m.

### 2. ROLL CALL\*

*A majority quorum must be established to hold a bonafide meeting*

The following members were present: Director Smith, Senator Salcido, Student-at-Large Mireles, and Senator Montero Garcia.

The following members were absent: None.

The following members were excused: None.

4/4 members were present, quorum has been established, and a bonafide meeting can be held.

### 3. AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA

*The Senate will consider any amendments to the agenda.*

Senator Salcido: The year at the top of the agenda needs to be changed from, "August 12, 2015", to, "August 12, 2016".

Due to no objections, the agenda has been adopted.

### 4. CORRECTIONS TO THE MINUTES

*The Senate will discuss and correct minutes from previous meetings.*

- a. The Senate will consider the approval of unapproved minutes from the meeting held on 7/28/2016.

*Criminology Club:* The spelling of Student-at-Large Mireles' name under Item 2 is misspelled and should be changed from, "Marales", to, "Mireles".

*Senator Salcido:* The title, "Student Mireles", under Item 2 should be changed to, "Student-at-Large".

Due to no objections the minutes have been approved.

### 5. PUBLIC COMMENT\*

*This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Senate on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Senate may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)*

*Pres. Frazer:* New Student Convocation is next Thursday, August 18<sup>th</sup>. I encourage all clubs to attend to show support, and remember that if you are attending the convocation, you must reserve your attendance through OSL in order for us to get you the equipment you need – booths, tables, etc. Also, a reminder to re-register your clubs for the upcoming semester, deadline is Labor Day, September 5<sup>th</sup>.

*Outdoors Club:* For our club, we deal with knives and other items considered "off-limits" on campus, can we take pictures and present them at the Convocation?

*Pres. Frazer:* Yes, you can take picture and do that, just don't bring dangerous objects on school grounds.

*MECHA Club:* I want to thank everybody that participated in the Renegade Fest. I think it was great for the new students who are coming on campus.

### Notes:

*Unless otherwise marked by an asterisk, all agenzized items are action items upon which the Senate may take action. Action items may be taken out of the order to be presented at the discretion of the Chair. BCSGA supports providing equal access to all programs for people with disabilities. Reasonable efforts will be made to provide accommodations to people with disabilities attending the meeting. Please call the Office of Student Life at (661) 395-4614 as soon as possible to arrange for appropriate accommodation.*

*Agendas are posted 72 hours before the meetings commences in accordance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.*

*Agendas are posted at the BCSGA bulletin board located in the Bakersfield College Campus Center and online at [www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga](http://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga)*

*If you would like a copy of any of the agenda items listed, please contact Office of Student Life at 661-395-4614 or [studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu](mailto:studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu).*



\*Senator Montero Garcia arrived at the meeting at 11:12 p.m.\*

*President Frazer:* I would like a list of the time and day that your club meets. I would like to send a representative to talk about the bond at your meeting.

## 6. INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

*The Chair shall recognize any officer of the Association, including the BCSGA Advisor, to offer a report on official activities since the previous meeting and make any summary announcements deemed necessary for no longer than five minutes.*

### a. Chair, Director Smith

Director Garcia and I have settled on a date for the Halloween Ball. We will be having a meeting, not next Thursday, but the Thursday after that. We will be talking about the Halloween Ball. Every other Thursday from there, we want to hold meetings that focus on the Halloween Ball. At the first meeting we will go over the budget for the event, and watch, "The Haunted Mansion," movie and the ride to gain some ideas that we can use. The meeting will take place from 12:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. All clubs are welcome to participate. I can take down contact information for those who are interested. I will make a list serve of my own.

*Senator Salcido :* You do not have to be an ICC Representative to get involved with the event. You do not have to be in a club to get involved. All students are welcome to get involved with the Halloween Ball. It is not solely limited to ICC members.

### b. Senator Salcido

We have an event on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It is the "Get your StudOrg On," Event. It is a great time to advertise and recruit members for your club. Dr. Damania voiced that this appears to be the best time to get students involved because it is the beginning of the year. Student participation may dwindle as the year progresses.

### c. Senator Montero-Garcia

No report.

### d. BCSGA Advisor, *Dr. Damania*

Annual club registrations. Please make sure you do that. Yes, you have to do a budget. There is a template that you can use. If you do not get it done by the 5<sup>th</sup>, your club will be removed from the website, and you will lose your room reservations. You will need to have you Advisor, President, Treasurer, ICC rep confirmation, and your Constitution. Any social media your club has, and your meeting times for the year. You also need the budget. It does not have to be perfect. Workshops are happening, Director Smith is doing a great job on that. For the Halloween Ball, it is very expensive to have it follow the California Regulations of Fire Codes, while trying to make it a safe event. However, we got an email from a company that is touring for a, "Haunted House." I had Danyel, our new full time employee who is also dedicated to Student Organizations, contact them. Everything is included such as lights and decorations. They did mention that at the bare minimum they will need 10 actors, and then we have powder. It will be done in the cafeteria. What we envision happening is that we will have people walk through the Haunted House, and at the end of it they walk into the dance. That will help alleviate all the stress on getting this plan together. I want this event to go very well, that way it can keep getting better every semester. We will need help fundraising this event. We will cover the cost for the Haunted House. Admission will not be handled by us, but whoever helps will get some funding towards their student organization. Haunted houses typically make a lot of money if the advertisement is there. We will give out more information about the whole process once we learn more. Student Convocation is happening next week. The first 2 weeks are going to be jam packed. Student Involvement Festival is happening, which is a great time to get students involved. Later on we have the Student Leadership Conference at CSUB.

## 7. UNFINISHED BUSINESS

*Items listed have already been discussed once and thus are considered for approval by the Senate*

### a. New Student Convocation/Opening Day Thursday (1-4 pm)

#### Discussion:

*Director Smith:* I suggest getting to this event at 12:00 p.m. If you are volunteering for the event, you can help us set up tables and other items needed for the event. The event itself starts at 1:00 p.m. If

you do not register for any of the equipment you may need for that day. If you have not registered yet, please do so

*D.I.S.C Club*: Is parking going to be taken care of. The president of our club does not have a parking permit just yet.

*Senator Rodriguez*: Parking will not have to be a concern because school is not in session. Parking was free during the last one we had.

**b. SOF Grant Workshops**

Discussion:

*Director Smith* : August 16, 2016, is our next planned workshop day. The time for that will be emailed to everyone. We will have more in the fall, as well as the spring semester. Those dates are in the process of being planned.

**c. Public speaking workshops**

Discussion:

*Senator Salcido* : These workshops are for everyone, not just people involved in ICC. Whoever wants training can come. The skills that come from this workshop can carry on beyond college. This is a great opportunity that I recommend going to.

*Director Garcia* : These workshops are intended for everyone who feels that they could use some more help speaking publicly. I can say that the people who have attended my workshop have shown improvement in their own public speaking skills.

**d. Student involvement festival**

*Director Smith* : For this event, we would like all volunteers to show up at 9:00 a.m. The event starts at 10:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m. I would suggest showing up an hour earlier to set up your own spots and equipment. I highly suggest that clubs sign up for events such as this because it gives your club good exposure for recruitment.

*Director Garcia* : If you want to register for this event, you can go to :  
<https://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/involvementfestival>

*Senator Salcido*: The event will be held on the Student Services lawn area as well as the Renegade Crossroads.

*Pre-Physician Assistant Club* : I discussed this with Director Garcia at the Renegade Fest yesterday. I was told that you would need two representatives to represent your club.

*Director Smith* : The new rule is that you need two representatives from your club at the event. It does not have to be the Treasurer, ICC Rep, or the President. They can be anyone involved with your club. At least two club members.

*Pre-Physician Assistant Club* : If we do not have two club members to represent the club, outside of myself – how would we go about actually setting up a booth to try and draw more students into the club?

*Director Smith* : Talk to me after the meeting, and we can discuss going about accommodating your situation. I am more than happy to talk to you about that, after the meeting. Everyone, please make sure you submit your space reservation for this event. It will help me take care of some of the issues surrounding the event.

## 8. NEW BUSINESS

*Items listed have not already been discussed once and thus are considered for approval by the Senate.*

### a. Due Date for Club Registration/New policies

#### Discussion:

*Director Smith* : As Dr. Damania mentioned earlier, the last day for club registration has been changed from September 1, 2016 to September 5, 2016. If your club does not register by that due date, your room reservations will be cut off. You will have to start those processes all over again. Your club recognition on the college website will also be taken down. A lot of students use the website to check which clubs are still active. A lot of things get cut off if you do not register your club by September 5, 2016. Please register your club before this time. Also, if re-registration does not happen, ICC reps will not be receiving emails. Emails about this meeting and surrounding information only go to the ICC representative. We depend on you to take the information and inform your club members about what is going on/ happening on campus. I cannot add somebody to the listserv, it has to be formally done. If your club does not re-register, then I cannot do that. Once I receive the listserv, there is no more discussion on who is added and who is not.

*Senator Salcido* : I would like to add that if your registration is not done in time, your funds will still be there. Your funds for the club will still stand. Say your club is inactive for a year. If your club goes through the registration process under the same club name, then you will have access to the funds you had previously. You just will not be able to access the funds while the club is inactive.

### b. Report from director of activities ( Erik Garcia)

The first two weeks of school, we will be having a lot of activities. Let us discuss the first week. On Monday we will have tents out at, "Welcome Renegades." Monday and Tuesday, we will be giving out donuts and juice. Wednesday we will have, "Get Your StudOrg On." On Thursday, we will host tacos and tie-dye. The following Monday, we will have the BCSGA Sweepstakes. In the stage area, we will have candy available to purchase. Tuesday, we will have the BCSGA Meat and Greet. Wednesday we have the Student Involvement Festival. On Thursday, we have our first community movie night at 6:00p.m. We will be showing, "Captain America: Civil War." A document will be sent out to all of you that has a list of all the events that will be happening during that time.

## 9. PUBLIC COMMENT

*This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Senate on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Senate may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)*

*M.E.CH.A Club* : I noticed that on the website near club registration, there was a section for officer training workshops. Except there were no updates on new workshop dates. Will those be coming up soon?

*Director Smith* : Yes, there will be an email sent out when the officer workshop is occurring.

*P.R Manager Webb* : You mentioned taking ideas for workshops?

*Director Smith* : Yes, I am open to that. It is a matter of what time it will occur on the calendar, and space reservations to try and get it off the ground.

*Outdoor Club*: Last semester, I discussed having clubs come together during an event and helping each other host the event.

*Senator Salcido*: I believe that A.S.L club is trying to lead the charge on that. Once the semester starts, hopefully I will be able to hear more about it from them.

## 10. ADJOURNMENT

In there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:57 p.m.

