

# BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

1801 Panorama Drive, Campus Center, Room 4 | Bakersfield, California 93305

## EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.

BCSGA Boardroom

---

### 1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER

The meeting was called to order by the chair, President Frazer, at 1:05p.m.

### 2. ROLL CALL\*

*A majority quorum must be established to hold a bonafide meeting*

The following members were present: President Frazer, Vice President Jimenez, Director Garcia, Director Smith, and Director Lyons.

The following members were absent: Director Zavala.

The following members were excused: None.

5/6 members are present, quorum has been established, and a bonafide meeting can be held.

### 3. AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA

*The Body will consider any amendments to the agenda.*

*Director Garcia:* I move to have item 4.b. removed from the minutes.

Motion to have item 4.a. removed from the minutes seconded by V.P. Jimenez.

Due to no objections, the minutes have been approved as amended.

### 4. CORRECTIONS TO THE MINUTES

*The Senate will discuss and correct minutes from previous meetings*

- a. The board will consider the approval of unapproved minutes from the two meetings held on 08/04/16.

*President Frazer:* The, “.”, right after, “Vice President”, under Roll Call needs to be removed. Under Roll Call again, “Senator Zavala”, and, “Senator Lyons”, needs to be changed to, “Director Zavala”, and, “Director Lyons”.

*Manager Manos:* Under the Individual Reports, in my report the work, “be”, needs to be inserted into the sentence, “We are going to emphasizing...”, right after the word, “to”, for the sentence to make sense.

\*Let the record show that Director Lyons arrived at 1:08 p.m.

### 5. PUBLIC COMMENT\*

*This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Body on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Body may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)*

*Pres. Frazer:* I would just like to take the time and thank everyone who worked over the summer, you’ve all put in a lot of hours, especially Director Garcia who has been planning multiple events for the fall semester. I am confident that this year’s line-up of activates will be successful.

### Notes:

*Unless otherwise marked by an asterisk, all agenzied items are action items upon which the Body may take action. Action items may be taken out of the order to be presented at the discretion of the Chair. BCSGA supports providing equal access to all programs for people with disabilities. Reasonable efforts will be made to provide accommodations to people with disabilities attending the meeting. Please call the Office of Student Life at (661) 395-4614 as soon as possible to arrange for appropriate accommodation.*

*Agendas are posted 72 hours before the meetings commences in accordance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.*

*Agendas are posted at the BCSGA bulletin board located in the Bakersfield College Campus Center and online at [www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga](http://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga)*

*If you would like a copy of any of the agenda items listed, please contact Office of Student Life at 661-395-4614 or [studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu](mailto:studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu).*



## 6. INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

*The Chair shall recognize any officer of the Association, including the BCSGA Advisor, to offer a report on official activities since the previous meeting and make any summary announcements deemed necessary for no longer than five minutes.*

- a. Chair, *Matthew Frazer, President*  
School resumes for the fall semester and while many of us have responsibilities to SGA, we are students first and foremost, so don't put off school work in order to accomplish tasks related to your work.
- b. BCSGA Advisor, *Dr. Damania*  
No report.
- c. Vice President, *Galo Jiménez*  
No report.
- d. Director of Activities, *Erik Garcia*  
You all should have received an email with information related to the events we are hosting these first few upcoming weeks, and if you have the time please look over the spots available and see if you can sign up for one. We will be handling multiple events and need as many volunteers as we can get, but if you are busy with classes and school and please don't overwhelm yourself.
- e. Director of Legislative Affairs, *Wesley Lyons*  
I recently was appointed a position on the SSCCC – Student Senate for California Community Colleges – as the System of Affairs Director for all of Region 5, meaning I will be sitting at multiple committees and meetings in and out of the region. On top of that, I am still in the process of moving and will be finished with that soon, until then I will be very busy and won't be able to attend the Porterville Retreat. Besides that, the activities which will be at the end of this month, I will have that ready very soon. And before I forget, because of my new position at SSCCC, I need to join a committee, so if there is any particular one which you want me to join, just let me know.
- f. Director of Stud Orgs, *Dontae Smith*  
The ICC meeting have officially been changed for the fall semester, from now on the meeting will be held on the 2<sup>nd</sup> and 4<sup>th</sup> Friday of every month, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Last week's meeting had a much bigger turn out than I anticipated, and since we are still drafting our bill for club participation, many of the clubs who were in attendance seem to be much eager to participate in events. Senator Salcido and I will be finishing the bill soon, so expect the final draft no later than next ICC meeting. The agenda for the Halloween Committee is almost finished and will be submitted this week, so expect the Halloween Committee meeting next Thursday or the following Thursday. The budget for the Halloween Committee is also almost complete, and with luck we will have the Ball portion of the event under \$2500; however, the haunted house is still under consideration and may cost much more than we anticipated. We will likely have to bring in other clubs, but since it is community event, that is possible. And finally, I just bought the software required to project the ghost, so we can look forward to that.
- g. P.R. Manager, *Rayven Webb*  
No report.
- h. Director of Finance, *Manny Zavala*  
No report.

## 7. OLD BUSINESS

*Items listed have not already been discussed once and thus are considered for approval by the Body.*

- a. Establish office hours for Fall  
Discussion:  
*President. Frazer:* for this semester, I know most of you already have your fall class schedule in order, so you should now have an idea of your availability.

*Director Lyons:* I will be available much more often now, since I changed my major and am taking most of my classes online, with some occasionally at BC.

*President Frazer:* I know that, with so many things happening at once, schedules for offices hours are not set in stone, but if you can have your hours posted on your door, or email it to me, it would help everyone very much.

**b. KCCD SGA Retreat – August 19-21 (Porterville College)**

Discussion:

*President Frazer:* As you all know, this weekend is the KCCD SGA Retreat, as far as I know most of you are going, except for Director Lyons. Make sure you are on time and that you follow the dress code that was sent out by Dr. Damania. The rooms have also been set, if you want to switch rooms or bunk with someone else, just let Dr. Damania know.

*Director Smith:* Just to be clear, what time are we leaving?

*President Frazer:* I believe we need to be at the office by 10:30 a.m. so that we can leave at 11:00 a.m., I will check the email and let you know after the meeting.

*V.P. Jimenez:* Do we need to bring a laptop to the retreat?

*President Frazer:* It's completely optional, all you really need is something to write with and something to write in. On Saturday we will be having a 2-hour Bond lecture, so make sure you take notes.

*Manager Manos:* Does a black skirt count?

*President Frazer:* That is acceptable, black slacks or black skirts, even tan or gray colored slacks will be fine, follow the dress code sent out and you'll be fine.

**c. Opening Day Thursday, August 18, 2016 (8am)**

Discussion:

*President Frazer:* I need officers to be at both the speech for the faculty members and driving in the carts around campus for anyone who needs a ride during the event. The events altogether is not mandatory, but I would help if everyone pitch in.

**d. New Student Convocation Thursday, August 18, 2016 (5-7pm) – must attend**

Discussion:

*President Frazer:* This particular event is mandatory for all BCSGA officers, unless told otherwise all of you should be able to attend; except for Director Lyons who has a Legislative Affairs meeting at that time. If anyone else has any issues attending, let me know now, so I won't be wondering where you are.

*Manager Manos:* I will be able to attend the event, but I won't get here till about 5:00 p.m. since I need to pick up my daughter.

*President Frazer:* That is completely fine, so long as you are able to attend the majority of the convocation. And if you are at another booth with a club, just remember to wear your BCSGA polo.

*Director Smith:* is this event the one where you will be introducing us to the public?

*President Frazer:* no, the Opening Day is the one where I will be introducing some of you to the staff and faculty. At the Student Convocation, I will just be welcoming and introducing the new students to BC and the various departments here on campus.

*Director Garcia:* I spoke with Dynnl, and I will be handling the SGA booth with whoever else wants to help.

e. Participatory Governance Committee Meetings

Discussion:

*President Frazer:* Last meeting I gave everyone a list of participatory governance committees that must be filled, right now I will be announcing some of the positions I have filled in as of now, if you have any concerns or comments just let me know: Director Lyons in the Accreditation & Institutional Quality Committee which meets the 1<sup>st</sup> and 3<sup>rd</sup> Tuesday of every month, V.P. Jimenez and Senator Salcido in the Academic Senate – only one of you must attend every meet so coordinate on that –, Director Zavala in the Budget Committee, I will be on the College Council, Director Garcia in the Commencement Ad Hoc Committee, Manager Manos in the Curricular Committee, Manager Webb in the EODAC, Director Smith in the Facilities Committee, and Parliamentarian Serrato in the Safety Advisory Committee. I will get all of you the times and days of meetings as soon as possible. A few of the position as still empty, including the Information Services Instructional Technology and the Program Review Committee, and the 2<sup>nd</sup> appointment will be filled in with senators. We need to have these positions filled as soon as possible. Dr. Damania will be setting up an appointment with the chair and whoever is appointed, so that you will know what is going on before you start.

*Manager Manos:* Have these meetings already taken place and how will we know?

*President Frazer:* A few have, but some haven't started and won't start until school resumes. I will be asking Dr. Damania about the meeting times, he will be sending out emails to the committees.

*Senator Graves:* I can join the Program Review Committee. Also is it possible to be a part of more than one committee, because I would also like to join the Informational Services Instructional Technology Committee.

*President Frazer:* That's perfect, I'll write that down and have you added to the calendar, as for joining more than one committee, if you think you can handle it, then I find nothing wrong with that.

f. Setting up bi-monthly meetings with President

Discussion:

*President Frazer:* I need you to send me an email on a time you are available so we can meet, I need to meet with you at least twice a month, whether it be at lunch or in between classes, I just need to be able to know if you are in the loop with the departments and the events going on campus. I would like your schedules by the end of the second week of school.

g. Better BC

No further discussion is needed.

h. Discuss each departments first upcoming events

Discussion:

*Director Garcia:* Monday we will have a Welcome Booths around campus, handing out donuts and orange juice, Tuesday is similar, but we will be handing out water bottles - \$5 for non-KVC and free for KVC card holder –, Wednesday is Get Your StudOrgs On, clubs interested need to sign up in advance for tables and canopies, Thursday is Tie-Dye shirts. I sent out an email to all of you with the list of events happening this week, as well as the sign-up sheet, so you can sign-up there.

*President Frazer:* And how many volunteers will you need for the first couple of days?

*Director Garcia:* We have the full list of the activities in the email that was sent out, and you can sign-up there as well. It varies depending on the day and the activity

*President Frazer:* How many booths will BCSGA have on Monday and Tuesday and where will they be located? As well as the times.

*Director Garcia:* We will have 3 booth on both days, and they will be located at the front of the gym, the Fine Arts building (FA), and the library. We plan to be out there from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

*Manager Manos:* and when you sign-up for the event in the email, you can sign-up for an hour slot, you don't have to stay for the whole booth.

*Director Smith:* Besides Club Day, I have several workshops scheduled for September and the Halloween Ball, which is the only major event I have planned.

*Director Lyons:* The last week of this month, we will have a booth set out called Power Lunch, it is from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. and it will be a catered event. I will just be informing students on what is going on campus and having students voice their opinions and concerns.

## 8. NEW BUSINESS

### a. Decorum

#### Discussion:

*President Frazer:* does everyone here know what Decorum is?

*Director Lyons:* Decorum is essentially the way you dress and how you speak and act in a professional setting. It is related to Robert's Rules.

*President Frazer:* Following this helps with our meeting going smoothly without delay.

## 9. PUBLIC COMMENT

*This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Body on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Body may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)*

*Director Garcia:* Again, please try and sign-up for an event, we will be very short-staffed and will need as many hands as we can get. Please do your best to stay involved, but not to the point you get overwhelmed, thank you.

## 10. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 1:38 p.m.